Tashkent, 700078, Mustaquillik mayadoni, 6.
Tel: +998 (71) 238-26-96
e-mail : email@example.com
The Senate (Upper Chamber) of the Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan
Senate is the Upper Chamber of territorial representation and consists of 100 members (senators). The Chairman of the Senate is Mr. Ilgizar Sobirov.
Members of the Senate are elected in equal quantity – six persons from each territorial entity (Republic of Karakalpakstan, provinces and the City of Tashkent) by secret ballot at relevant Joint Sessions of deputies of Zhokarghy Kenes of the Republic of Karakalpakstan, representative bodies of state authority of provinces, districts, cities and towns among their deputies. Sixteen members of the Senate are appointed by the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan from the most respectable citizens with large practical experience and special merits in the sphere of science, art, literature, industry and other spheres of state and public activity.
The term of Senate’s office – 5 years. To become a member of the Senate the person should be a citizen of the Republic of Uzbekistan, reached by the election day twenty-five years old and permanently residing in the territory of Uzbekistan for at least five years. The same person may not simultaneously be a member of the Senate and deputy of the Legislative Chamber.
Kengash of the Senate
Kengash gathers between sessions in order to effectively organize the activities of the Senate, coordinate the work of committees, preparing proposals on the topical issues. Kengash is composed of the Chairman of Senate, his/her deputies and chairmen of the committees. Kengash adopts decisions within its competence and by majority vote of all its members. Kengash is headed by Chairman of the Senate.
Committees of the Senate
- Committee on Budget and Economic Reforms
- Committee on Legislation and Judicial-Legal issues
- Committee on Defense and Security
- Committee on Foreign Policy Issues
- Committee on Science, Education, Culture and Sport
- Committee on Agriculture, Water and Ecology
Jurisdiction of the Committees of the Senate
- To give conclusion on the laws passed by the Legislative Chamber for approval;
- To develop its own initiative and on behalf of the Senate drafts of laws on matters relating to its conduct;
- To make proposals to Kengash of the Senate on the inclusion of laws to the agenda of the meeting or continuation of work on it or reject it with a reasonable justification;
- To give conclusions and suggestions on the draft of the State Budget of Uzbekistan;
- To request official documents and other expert opinions, statistical and other data from state authorities and other organizations;
- To create a working group to review laws introduced by the Legislative Chamber, attract representatives from government bodies and non-governmental organizations, academics, professionals and scientists, heads of business entities;
Tashkent, 700035,Xalqlar do‘stligi str. 1,
Tel: +998 (71) 239-87-07
The Legislative Chamber (Lower Chamber) of Oliy Majlis of the Republic of Uzbekistan
The Legislative Chamber consists of 120 Deputies elected by territorial constituencies on multiparty basis. The Speaker of the Chamber is Mrs. Dilorom Tashmukhamedova.
Kengash of the Legislative Chamber
In order to organize the work of the Chamber and to implement other powers that are stipulated by the Law, the Kengash of the Legislative Chamber was formed at its first session.
Structure of the Kengash
The Kengash is composed of the Chairman of the Legislative Chamber, his/her Deputies, chairmen of committees, commissions (except interim ones), leaders of factions and blocs of the deputies.
Jurisdiction of the Kengash
- Introduces a motion on the agenda and procedures of the session of the Chamber.
- Holds hearings of the reports of the committees and commissions on their work and information on implementation of the laws and other decisions of the Chamber.
- Plans legislative activities.
- Under proposal of the Chairman of the Chamber holds preliminary consideration of draft laws and other documents.
- Analyses proposals and comments of the deputies given at the session of the Chamber and makes appropriate.