Uzbekistan has 13 regions (provinces), bordering Kazakhstan in the north, Kyrgyzstan and Tadjikistan in the east,
Turkmenistan in the west and Afghanistan in the south.
The Province of Andijan is situated in the eastern part of the Fergana Valley. It covers an area of 4,200 square kilometers. The climate is typically continental with extreme variations between winter and summer temperatures. The population of the Province is 1,899,000, and the average density is 499 people per square kilometer.
The Province is divided into 14 administrative districts. The administrative center of which is the city of Andijan, with 303,000 inhabitants. Other major centers in the Province are Asaka, Khanabad, Khodjaabad, Shakhrikhan, and Karasu.
Multiple deposits of oil, ozokerite and lime represent the mineral resources of the Province.
The Bukhara province is situated in the southwestern part of Uzbekistan. The Kizil-Kum Desert takes up a large portion of its territory. The total area of the Province is 39,400 square km. The climate is characteristically continental and arid.
The Bukhara Province has a population of 1,384,700, about 68% of whom live in the rural areas, while the other 32% live in urban centers. The Province is divided into 11 administrative districts, and the province’s administrative center is the city of Bukhara, which has a population of 263,400. Other towns in the Province are Alat, Karakol, Galasiya, Gazly, Gidjduvan, Kagan, Romitan, Shavirkan and Vabkent.
The Province of Djizzak lies in the central part of Uzbekistan. The total area of the Province is 20,500 square kilometers. The climate is typically continental, with dry, hot summers and mild winters.
Its population is 910,500 people with an average density of 108 people per square kilometer. The Province is divided into 11 administrative districts, with Djizzak as its administrative center. This town has 127,200 residents. Other main towns are Dustlik, Gagarin, Gallyaaral, Pakhtakor, and Mardjanbulak.
The Province’s economy is based on agriculture, chiefly cotton and cereal. There are tens of thousands of hectares of virgin soil, which have been studied for agricultural purposes. This land has adequate irrigation infrastructure, which has been created in the past few years.