There are many interesting legends that tells about the origin of Khiva. Allegedly, the city grew around the well Hewvakh, with tasty and cool water. The well was dug by the order of Shem, the elder son of Biblical Noah. Today one can see this well in the old part of Khiva, Itchan-Kala.
Khiva - a unique city, rightfully claiming the title of "the seventh wonder of the world", thanks to its authentic atmosphere of the 'era of the beginning of time. " Most of the city of Khiva is similar to the open-air museum. And the nucleus of this museum - castle Itchan-Kala. It is inside this fortress concentrated all the architectural masterpieces of Khiva. Everyone who enters the fortress, are among the marvelous minarets, stone-paved alleys curves, leading to a madrassa with lacy rough mosaic of the ancient walls. This oriental tale! In 1990 the city was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The administrative center of the Province is the city of Samarkand, with a population of 368,000. Other important towns are Bulungur, Djuma, Ishtikhon, Kattaqurgan, Urgut, and Aktash.
The Republic of Karakalpakistan is situated in the north-western part of Uzbekistan. It occupies the area from the western part of the Kizil-Kum Desert to the Amu-Darya river delta. The Republic’s total area covers 165,600 square kilometers. The climate is typically continental, with very hot summers and cold winters without snow. The population of Karakalpakistan is 1.4 million, mainly Uzbek (32.8%) and Karakalpak (32.1%). About 48% of the population lives in rural areas, while the other 52% live in towns. The Republic is divided into 15 administrative districts, 12 towns and 16 villages, and its administrative center is Nukus which has a population of 236,700. Other significant towns are Beruny, Buston, Khodjeily, Kungrad, Muynaq, Takhiatash, Turtkul, and Chimbad.